Warning For Worshippers
Through Christ’s death on the cross, we have a new living hope and have been purified. But if we sin willfully, there is judgment. Ecclesiastes 5:1-7 is a warning for worshippers.
Warnings to Heed
- Watch your step. Be careful when you come into God’s house. The ground you walk on is Holy ground — do not take it lightly. Be mindful when you’re singing or praying of whose presence you’re in. This is a warning for all who claim the name of Christ. (Hebrews 10:19-22, 26-27, 29-31)
- Watch your ways. Draw near to listen with the intent to obey. Don’t just hear the Word, put it into action in your life. Be doers of the Word. (Ecc 5:1, James 1:22-27; 1 Samuel 15:13-22).
- Watch your words. The sacrifice of fools are ill spoken words.
- Don’t let impulsive thoughts lead to hasty words. God is many things but not one we are to treat with flippant words. (Ecc 5:2).
- Don’t babble before the Lord. The more talk, the less truth; the wise measure their words. (Ecc 5:3, Proverbs 10:19, Matt 6:7).
- Don’t make vows that you have no intention of keeping or are unable to keep (Ecc 5:4, Proverbs 20:25).
Reasons to Heed These Warnings
- Evil lurks in the heart of a fool. (Ecc 5:1, Proverbs 14:15).
- Fools forget who God is and who they are. God knows it all. Never forget who you are praying to. (Ecc 5:2, Matt 6:6,8).
- God takes no pleasure in fools. There is a moral component to being a fool, one who is sinful and deviant. (Ecc 5:4, 2 Chron 16:8-9).
Ways To Heed These Warnings
- Be silent before God. Let your words be few. (Ecc 5:2, Psalm 46:10, James 1:9).
- Be mindful of your promises to God. Consider your vows and follow through. (Ecc 5:4-6)
- Be fearful of God. As A.W. Tozer said, “…when men no longer fear God they transgress His laws without hesitation… Many talk about God but evidently do not know who He is.”
Dealing with the living God is a bit like handling a nuclear weapon: it can alter your whole day. Pray that you don’t grow so familiar with God that you don’t approach Him on your knees or truly worship Him. God and God alone should be our affection. To obey is to sacrifice. Make God the center and all of life. Magnify God and make His name known. He and He alone is Lord.