Reverend Celestin Musekura was our guest speaker last Sunday.  He is a Ph.D. graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary and is President and Founder of ALARM (African Leadership And Reconciliation Ministries.)  His survival of persecution and the devastating effects of genocide in Rwanda led to his founding of ALARM in 1994.  It is a ministry that is focused on bringing forgiveness, reconciliation and healing to African communities.

He reminded us that we belong to a global community.  When people are affected by war, genocide, or other atrocities, their decisions are impacted as a result of their experiences.  These experiences affect your foundations.  Hate, greed, group pride (the seven deadly sins) all led to dehumanization of other groups.  This dehumanization or demonization allowed people to kill each other without remorse.

Psalm 11:3 says, “When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?”  Reverend Musekura’s question to us was, “How can we make a difference?”

The beatitudes are ways for us to live a righteous life.  The beginning of sin is in our hearts — that’s what makes a difference in peacemakers/peacekeepers.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

We can deal with individual sins through the Beatitudes.  We must accept who we are first, a sinner, then come to Christ in humility and pray.

ALARM works with African leaders teaching them how to use the Bible, how to deal with conflict (forgiveness) and about reconciliation.   They are an instrument of hope and healing, clinging to the hope of life and transformation in African communities through the gospel.

For more information about ALARM, or to contact Celestin Musekura, please click on the following links:

ALARM Website

Facebook

Twitter